.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

San Juan Gossip Mills Outlet

A veritable fanatic of the Internet. His avocation is teaching while his main vocation is practicing the much maligned law profession. Currently teaching Constitutional Law at the FEU Institute of Law and a guest lecturer at the De La Salle University teaching "Freedom and Regulation in Cyberspace" in the Graduate Program of the Department of Communication. He is married to his beautiful Ateneo law school classmate and is blessed with a daughter and a son.

Name:
Location: San Juan, Metro Manila, Philippines

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Newsbreak Feature

A pleasant surprise awaited me after attending a labor case in the morning!

Coming home for lunch, I decided to check on my gmail. And surprisingly, a lady emailed me informing me that I was featured in the November 21 issue of the Newsbreak Magazine where Chief Justice Davide was the cover feature. She proceeded to pose her legal query. I surmised that she passed through my other blogsite, Saklawlaw, where I provide free legal advice online.

Despite the fact that I never recall having been interviewed by any print reporter, I answered her legal query on Reckless Imprudence and emailed her back.

But curiosity gnawed on me and I told my staff to buy me a copy of the 21 November issue of Newsbreak. And true enough, it was featured and occupied about a-fifth of page 12. It was entitled “ONLINE PROBONO WORK” and written by Ms. Carmela Fonbuena. The “blurb” however will not be found on the online edition of Newsbreak.

She proceeded to describe what the blog’s purpose was and gave a little description of who I was. She also did an etymology of my blog’s name. She described it as a combination of SAKLAW + LAW meaning comprehensive law. Indeed, it was very deep and high sounding. I must thank Ms. Fonbuena for the publicity of my legal pro-bono blog.

Actually, I have a more mundane explanation for my blog’s title. I conceived and termed it SAKLAWLAW as a play on the Filipino word “SAKLOLO” meaning help, anglicized it, changing “lolo” to law law” to adapt to a legal setting and still maintain the same "lolo" sound. Thus, SAKLAWLAW meant legal aid.

But so as not steal the thunder from Ms. Fonbuena's excellent explanation, I shall deem Ms. Fonbuena’s interpretation as the better and more philosophical origin of my blog’s name. And for that I am eternally grateful for the article she wrote.

I would also like to thank two people, namely, Manuel Quezon III, the Rand McNally guide of the Philippine blogosphere whose October 18 blog roundup mentioned SAKLAWLAW and where I am most certain Ms. Fonbuena found my blog, and to Prof. Punzi whose lecture series gave me the idea of providing legal advice online.

Indeed, it was a pleasant surprise!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gari & Acidboy,

Thank you, my fellow bloggers. I think those who put up blogs must be prepared to be criticized. Creating a blog comes with it the obligation to be pachydermed-skinned.

Kaya, keep on blogging! We give mainstream media an alternative viewpoint. More power to you guys!

12:55 PM  
Blogger categorically imperative said...

Scan the blurb and put it up on your blog!

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cat,

Pwede siguro under the fair use doctrine. Pero, huwag na lang. Sobrang buhat na ng Ben Chan pag ginawa ko yan.

But thanks for the thought.

7:14 PM  
Blogger mama_aly said...

Congratulations, bro!

Such generosity can never go unnoticed. May your tribe increase. :)

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Performancing
Google