.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

San Juan Gossip Mills Outlet

A veritable fanatic of the Internet. His avocation is teaching while his main vocation is practicing the much maligned law profession. Currently teaching Constitutional Law at the FEU Institute of Law and a guest lecturer at the De La Salle University teaching "Freedom and Regulation in Cyberspace" in the Graduate Program of the Department of Communication. He is married to his beautiful Ateneo law school classmate and is blessed with a daughter and a son.

Name:
Location: San Juan, Metro Manila, Philippines

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Hubris

Saw over the newspaper GMA’s latest vain use of God’s name, to wit:

"But I have great faith in God's will. I believe that I am here now because that is the plan of God for me.”

As soon as I read it, the séance I was in conjured the literati and they reminded me not to use God’s name in vain. Specifically, some of them even reminded me of their own quotes on God.

By no means exhaustive, the literary giants are just as incensed as I was in GMA’s invocation of God to perpetuate herself in power. And to use God’s name to extend her reign can best be described in a word: HUBRIS.

So, here are the quotes of the masters of the pen and wit:

"You can bend it and twist it...You can misuse and abuse it...But even God cannot change the Truth"

Michael Levy

"Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God.

Benjamin Franklin

"There is no god higher than truth.

Mahatma Gandhi

"Never invoke the gods unless you really want them to apear. It annoys them very much."

G. K. Chesterton

“Why is it that when we talk to God we're said to be praying, but when God talks to us we're schizophrenic?”

Lily Tomlin

2 Comments:

Blogger tsop said...

You might find this amusing.

12:33 AM  
Blogger the bystander said...

I'm not surprised why GMA said that. Even the DEVIL can quote the Bible.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Performancing
Google