.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

San Juan Gossip Mills Outlet

A veritable fanatic of the Internet. His avocation is teaching while his main vocation is practicing the much maligned law profession. Currently teaching Constitutional Law at the FEU Institute of Law and a guest lecturer at the De La Salle University teaching "Freedom and Regulation in Cyberspace" in the Graduate Program of the Department of Communication. He is married to his beautiful Ateneo law school classmate and is blessed with a daughter and a son.

Name:
Location: San Juan, Metro Manila, Philippines

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Rocky!

With the boxing euphoria still unabated and extended with another victory by the younger Pacquiao, our country has truly established itself as the pugilistic capital of the world, outranking even Cuba!

For boxing aficionados comes even better news, Rocky VI is going to be made and Sylvester Stallone is going to reprise his role as Rocky Balboa. Amen!

And I am going to dance like a butterfly and sting like a bee to the tune of Bill Conti’s Gonna Fly Now. I am going to run up the stairs in the Halls of Justice of Manila, Quezon City, Pasay City and Makati with that song in mind. And when I am chasing my paper work, I will think of myself chasing chickens in the field. And when I join the rallies, I will remind myself that I am running through the streets of Philadelphia cheered on by the crowd. Rocky! Rocky!

After all these years, I am still smitten over Rocky because it is a story of human perseverance and the triumph of grit inspite of defeat. With grim determination, a person can rise above squalor and achieve his dream against all odds. No one leaves Rocky feeling a little better, a little encouraged, and a little teary-eyed especially when Rocky calls out Adrian’s name in the ring. A little part in each of us identifies with the struggles and dedication of Rocky.

Someone should play “Gonna Fly Now” or Vangelis’ score for Chariots of Fire while confronting the intolerant policemen. After all, "music hath charms to soothe the savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak." So says William Congreve the playwright. If beasts, rocks and trees can be moved by music, no reason why a mortal’s fury cannot be squelched.

In the meanwhile, I will watch Rocky one more time in order to draw inspiration and to steel my nerves in facing, in the words of Dean Jorge Bocobo, the gathering darkness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Performancing
Google